Inserts, cursors, and dirty reads

From: Linda Hagedorn <Linda_at_pets.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 11:23:11 -0700

Hello,

This question is about expected sql and cursor behavior in this sequence:

  1. Insert 1 on table x is started. Oracle needs an extent and starts allocation and format.
  2. Insert 2 on table x is started. Does it wait on insert 1?
  3. Cursor Query 1 on table x is started. Does it wait for inserts 1 and 2, or does it dirty read?
  4. Cursor Query 2 on table x is started. Does it wait for inserts 1 and 2, or does it dirty read?

I'm trying to estimate why queries are backing up behind an insert. Due to the application product, I don't get ORA codes, just a generic time out from the application.

References to documentation is appreciated.

Thanks,

Linda Hagedorn
 <<...OLE_Obj...>> Received on Fri Sep 08 2000 - 13:23:11 CDT