RE: How to prevent DUAL having more than 1 row

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 01:12:19 +1000

Hi Babu,

I can't tell you how this happened, but I can suggest an unsupported way of making sure that it never happens again. The APT script "replace_dual.sql" at http://www.ixora.com.au/scripts/cache.htm#replace_dual can replace the SYS.DUAL table with a view onto X$DUAL. Once that's done, it will not be possible for extra rows to appear in DUAL again. From a performance point of view, there is a slight increase in the parse overhead, but a slight reduction is the execution cost of statements that refer to DUAL. Once again, this is unsupported - mentioned for information only.

@ Regards,
@ Steve Adams
@ http://www.ixora.com.au/
@ http://www.christianity.net.au/