Re: simple (?) recovery question

From: <grant.g.holyoake_at_centrelink.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 16:11:35 +1100

SUN engineers advised the cause of the server spontaneously rebooting was due to a kernel thread's stack overflow. The size of the kernel stacks has since been increased however the legacy of the corruption was such that we had to rebuild the datafile from scratch and reload the data....good fun! Our developers are now convinced of the importance of an appropriate backup strategy and have graciously allowed us a 'window of opportunity' to perform essential backup routines!

Thanks for the input.

Regards
Grant

"Rachel Carmichael" <carmichr_at_hotmail.com> on 06/09/2000 01:44:40

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: GRANT G HOLYOAKE/NSO/CSDA)
Subject: Re: simple (?) recovery question

You could call Oracle Support as well to see if there is something else you can do.

But since you don't have backups, you don't have a clean copy of the datafile to start recovery from.

Sounds to me like you will have to rebuild from scratch.

And implement backups -- how were the backups impeding batch processes? and couldn't you take at least a once a week backup?

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com