Re: Compare Oracle to SQL Server

From: Koen Lefever <Koen.Lefever_at_dexia.be>
Date: 06 Sep 2000 14:44:36 +0200

Dan,

For the interfacing part, check out DirectConnect from Sybase (even if you're not using a Sybase RDBMS) http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=204835

HTH,
Koen.

dmcdona3%csc.com_at_Internet
06/09/2000 05:22

To:	ORACLE-L%fatcity.com_at_Internet
cc:	 (bcc: Koen Lefever/GKBCCB)

Subject:	Compare Oracle to SQL Server

We are evaluating packages and a question of a UNIX/Oracle platform Vs. an NT/SQL Server platform is raised. Specifically we are concerned with SQL Server and if it can scale and does it have breaking points. Are interfaces from Oracle to SQL Server easy or problematic. Input is needed and references to resources are welcome.

TIA,
Dan McDonald

  INET: dmcdona3_at_csc.com

------------------------------

 From: "Walter K" <alden14004_at_yahoo.com>
 Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:14:54 -0500
 Subject: Analyze Indexes vs. Table

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C017DA.89B69E90

What are the pros/cons of analyzing only the indexes of a table versus =
analyzing the table (which will also analyze the indexes)?

I'm asking this because I am using a data extraction tool that does just =
this--it only analyzes the indexes of a table rather than the table =
itself. This approach seems reasonable in theory but it appears that it =
does not produce comparable execution paths. I have found that unless I =
analyze the table, the execution path will not take advantage of a =
bitmap index for a delete operation against the table.

What are your opinions and experiences?