RE: Checklist for analyzing a unknown database

From: Jeffery Stevenson <jeff_at_mpv.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 16:08:29 -0500

  For the security side, you might want to check that the passwords have been changed for the DBSNMP and OUTLN users as well. If they are using the Windows AT command to do automated Oracle tasks, make sure that they don't put the password in the AT list or if they use scripts, make sure read permissions are turned of for everyone (except for an oracle type user). Make sure the Schedule service doesn't run as the system user (and if they are using RCMD to remotely administer the box, make sure that service is not running as the system user either). Lots of other security things out there, but those are some of the other big ones (besides what you've listed) that I've seen. HTH

Jeffery Stevenson
Chief Database Geek
Medical Present Value, Inc.
Austin, TX