RE: Optimal hard disk layout for Oracle

From: Figueiredo, Pedro <PFigueiredo_at_europeantelecom.at>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 13:16:19 -0000

Hi,

Well, basically it's a mount option that indicates how the OS manages = the
filesystems. The "default" uses OS buffering.=20 If you specify direct IO, Oracle will perform a most direct device = access as
you don't have two layers of buffering.
This redundacy consumes unecessary OS resources and will delay write = access.

The file system configuration on Sun Solaris is in /etc/vfstab.

Don't use it on regular mount points. It's completely unnapropriate for normal I/O operations.

Cheers

Pedro Figueiredo