Re: global ORACLE_SID in UNIX and concurrent oracle user sessions

From: Tom Pall <tom_at_cdproc.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 15:31:31 -0500

ORACLE_SID is local to your process.

Try this. Log into the box.

ORACLE_SID=abc
export $ORACLE_SID
echo $ORACLE_SID
abc

Now log into the box through another terminal. ORACLE_SID=xyz
export $ORACLE_SID
echo $ORACLE_SID
xyz

Now go back to the first session,
echo $ORACLE_SID
abc

Furthermore, once you started the import, you connected to the first instance, you established a persistent connection. Connections don't slip from one database to another. There is something called Transparent Failover. Does not apply here.