Re: multiple concurrent imports into the same database

From: Tom Pall <tom_at_cdproc.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 15:49:21 -0500

Catexp does not create tables. It creates roles and views. The views are used to reverse engineer the data dictionary. Export is logical, so it has to go through the data dictionary looking for all the object definitions and dependencies and write sql to recreate the objects during import.

If you query Metalink, you'll articles about speeding up export/import. One forum entry says:

From: Oracle, Reem Munakash 25-Jan-00 20:54   Subject: Re : Maximizing the performance of import and export.

  Imp/Exp don't have parallel processing at this time, so the only way to achieve that is to run multiple sessions in parallel. Here are a couple
  of articles which may also help:

The articles don't mention multiple sessions, rather removing indexes, making sure tracing is turned off in sqlnet.ora, using bigger arrays,
more memory, flat filing the data and running multiple sqlloader sessions.