Optimal hard disk layout for Oracle

From: Helmut Daiminger <hdaiminger_at_vivonet.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 15:08:04 -0700

Hi!

We are about to get a new database server and my supervisor wants me to specify the hard disk layout. It is a given that we wanna go with RAID 5. So here is what I'm thinking about:

Disk 1: Operating system + Oracle software
Disk 2: Online Redo Logs
Disk 3: Online Redo logs (mirrored)
Disk 4: archived redo logs

Disk 5-8: Oracle data files (i.e data + index tablespaces, temp tablespaces, rollback segments)

Disks 1-4 will be 'stand-alone' disks (i.e. no RAID or mirroring). Disks 5-8 will be in a RAID 5 array.

Do you think it would be beneficial to add like another disk (e.g. place rollback segments or temp tablespace on a separate disk)?

Any input would be appreciated. Received on Fri Sep 01 2000 - 17:08:04 CDT