RE: Off topic: New Microsoft suit [B*LLSH*T]

From: Bowes, Chris <Chris.Bowes_at_kosa.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:58:09 -0400

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C01353.7ECC1F36

        charset="iso-8859-1"

Wow... I didn't even get my flame suit on yet and boom, I'm a pile of goo... I'll respond to this one and no more. Where do I start:

>No, MS was using *various* means to destroy
>competition, including forcing OEMs to only
>install MS products on their hardware.

Various methods, yes. INCLUDING as the judge put it: Pricing items below what the competition could reasonably be expected to compete with. The California suit said they were too high. The feds say too low.

>Also, $400 for MicroSoft Office Pro is cheap? Word, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook exp, etc all in one? Averages less than 100/program. Doesn't sound too outrageous to me. A bit pricey maybe, but not all that bad. There are games and such are costing 50-70 bucks nowadays. Professional software that helps to run my company for 100/program? I guess it depends on what pricey is to you. I think a copy of Sqlnavigator is pricey at 500 dollars. I think Oracle is pricey. I don't expect a lawsuit to bail me out...

<Snip>

>When I pissed and moaned about the
>unfairness of MS' stated upgrade policy, another tech here told me
>the SIMPLE means to work around the problem so that I could use the
>$90 "Win98 upgrade" CD instead of the $190 *full* Win98 on a clean
>disk install.
>Now, you might argue that the *THREE* seperate MARKETING BOZOs I
>called at MS headquarters couldn't figure out how to "correctly"
>answer the question I was asking, but then I have to ask why, if he
>has such VAST WEALTH at his disposal, Bill Gates can't figure out how
>to hire and train people that know what the hell they are suppose to
>be doing!

Win98 for 90 or 190. Neither is unreasonable. If it helps the people of my company do their jobs better. Navigator from Quest cost us 3000 with all the bells and whistles and it's for pl-sql programming. What does IBM charge for OS licenses? I'd wager a lot less thanks to Microsoft, but probably not less than 200 per seat. Microsoft's support is a discussion for another day. The California suit is just to get some cash from the guy with the deep pockets.

>Giving away the browser?
>That was to destroy Netscape, whose founders, if you remember,
>*invented* the "mass market" web browser (Mosaic), and therefore
>perhaps arguably, invented the "popularized" web as we know it.

Actually, I thought Al Gore invented that (sorry, couldn't resist)... Really though, this goes back to my question. Yes, they did give it away to destroy competition. That being said, the California suit suffers yet another hit. How can free be too pricey when talking straight dollars?

>Also, if you remember, at the time MS blantantly took action to
>DESTROY Netscape as competition, it was anticipated that *due to
>their market presence* Netscape and/or others (Oracle/Sun?) would
>come up with an alternate desktop OS (NC?) that would be the
>beginning of the end of the MS WinBloat monopoly/domination.

Just like Walmart is destroying Kmart and Sears and Penny's. I knew someone who worked in the world hdqtrs of Kmart. He told me that Kmart couldn't buy from the vendors for the price that Walmart was selling the same vendors product. I know he was exageratting, but you get the point. Walmart's private deals with the vendors was crushing Kmart. One look at the sorry state of
Kmart shows it's working. Your goal as a business is to beat the competition.
Just like IBM tried to do to HP and DEC. Just like Ford tries to do to GM and Chrysler.
There will be competitors to Microsoft that will win too. I mean how's your Linux setup?

>Not mine.
>If you are so stupid and/or unethical as to participate in a
>retirement inventment instrument that is heavily based in MS stock,
>you deserve to get screwed when the govt finally gets around to
>putting its boot down on Bill Gates' neck for the long accumulative
>evil of destroying HUNDREDS of software companies.

Petty insults are not needed, Eric. They don't add to your arguement. I don't own
Microsoft stock. I own mutual funds like Janus 20 and Spectrafund and the like. Some own microsoft, some do not. That's irrelevent because they are
into the tech market and as Microsoft went, so went the tech guys. Do not forget what
happened in the spring. Once the Microsoft stuff blew through and Microsoft got
crushed, they took most of the market with them and a lot of it isn't recovering
very well. Right or wrong, the market is fairly emotion driven. What happens to
the giants tends to happen to the rest. One bad earnings report, tends to trickle to others. Is the tech sector (companies like Cisco or Intraware or Oracle) evil?
Please.

>Please try to pick investments that are good for the environment and sensitive

>to social justice issues, and be a responsible, activist citizen-consumer
>instead of buying into the arrogant ethos of wretched excess and
>corporate greed that MS epitomizes.

Like lawfirms suing microsoft? Find me that stock and I am there. This may be
because I am pigheaded, a yankee, or someone who just likes to argue, but I see this
newest suit as a "let's get the guy with deep pockets" suit. Nothing more. That was the
whole jist of my original post. This suit is to get the guy with the cash. Plain and
simple.

To the list, I am sorry guys. I'll take my thread and go home and will post no more to the
list on this. Eric, if you want to continue this, email me direct.

--Chris
Chris.Bowes_at_Kosa.Com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C01353.7ECC1F36

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>RE: Off topic: New Microsoft suit [B*LLSH*T]</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Wow...&nbsp; I didn't even get my flame suit on yet =
and </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>boom, I'm a pile of goo...&nbsp; I'll respond to =
this one and no more.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Where do I start:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;No, MS was using *various* means to destroy =
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;competition, including forcing OEMs to only =
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;install MS products on their hardware.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Various methods, yes.&nbsp; INCLUDING as the judge =
put it:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Pricing items below what the competition could =
reasonably be expected to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>compete with.&nbsp; The California suit said they =
were too high.&nbsp; The feds say</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>too low.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Also, $400 for MicroSoft Office Pro is =
cheap?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Word, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook exp, etc all in =
one?&nbsp; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Averages less than 100/program.&nbsp; Doesn't sound =
too outrageous to me.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>A bit pricey maybe, but not all that bad.&nbsp; =
There are games and such are costing 50-70 bucks nowadays.&nbsp; = Professional software that helps to run </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>my company for 100/program?&nbsp; I guess it depends =
on what pricey is to </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>you.&nbsp; I think a copy of Sqlnavigator is pricey =
at 500 dollars.&nbsp; I think</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Oracle is pricey.&nbsp; I don't expect a lawsuit to =
bail me out...</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&lt;Snip&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;When I pissed and moaned about the </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;unfairness of MS' stated upgrade policy, another =
tech here told me </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;the SIMPLE means to work around the problem so =
that I could use the </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;$90 &quot;Win98 upgrade&quot; CD instead of the =
$190 *full* Win98 on a clean </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;disk install.&nbsp; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Now, you might argue that the *THREE* seperate =
MARKETING BOZOs I </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;called at MS headquarters couldn't figure out =
how to &quot;correctly&quot; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;answer the question I was asking, but then I =
have to ask why, if he </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;has such VAST WEALTH at his disposal, Bill Gates =
can't figure out how </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;to hire and train people that know what the hell =
they are suppose to </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;be doing!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Win98 for 90 or 190.&nbsp; Neither is =
unreasonable.&nbsp; If it helps the people</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>of my company do their jobs better.&nbsp; Navigator =
from Quest cost us 3000 with</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>all the bells and whistles and it's for pl-sql =
programming.&nbsp; What does </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>IBM charge for OS licenses?&nbsp; I'd wager a lot =
less thanks to Microsoft, but</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>probably not less than 200 per seat.&nbsp; =
Microsoft's support is a discussion</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>for another day.&nbsp; The California suit is just =
to get some cash from the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>guy with the deep pockets.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Giving away the browser?&nbsp; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;That was to destroy Netscape, whose founders, if =
you remember, </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;*invented* the &quot;mass market&quot; web =
browser (Mosaic), and therefore </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;perhaps arguably, invented the =
&quot;popularized&quot; web as we know it.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Actually, I thought Al Gore invented that (sorry, =
couldn't resist)...</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Really though, this goes back to my question.&nbsp; =
Yes, they did give</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>it away to destroy competition.&nbsp; That being =
said, the California </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>suit suffers yet another hit.&nbsp; How can free be =
too pricey when talking</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>straight dollars?&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Also, if you remember, at the time MS blantantly =
took action to </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;DESTROY Netscape as competition, it was =
anticipated that *due to </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;their market presence* Netscape and/or others =
(Oracle/Sun?) would </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;come up with an alternate desktop OS (NC?) that =
would be the </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;beginning of the end of the MS WinBloat =
monopoly/domination.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Just like Walmart is destroying Kmart and Sears and =
Penny's.&nbsp; I knew someone</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>who worked in the world hdqtrs of Kmart.&nbsp; He =
told me that Kmart couldn't</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>buy from the vendors for the price that Walmart was =
selling the same vendors</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>product.&nbsp; I know he was exageratting, but you =
get the point.&nbsp; Walmart's</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>private deals with the vendors was crushing =
Kmart.&nbsp; One look at the sorry state of </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Kmart shows it's working.&nbsp; Your goal as a =
business is to beat the competition.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Just like IBM tried to do to HP and DEC. Just like =
Ford tries to do to GM and Chrysler.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>There will be competitors to Microsoft that will win =
too.&nbsp; I mean how's your Linux setup?</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Not mine. </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;If you are so stupid and/or unethical as to =
participate in a </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;retirement inventment instrument that is heavily =
based in MS stock, </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;you deserve to get screwed when the govt finally =
gets around to </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;putting its boot down on Bill Gates' neck for =
the long accumulative </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;evil of destroying HUNDREDS of software =
companies. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Petty insults are not needed, Eric.&nbsp; They don't =
add to your arguement.&nbsp; I don't own </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Microsoft stock.&nbsp; I own mutual funds like Janus =
20 and Spectrafund and </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the like.&nbsp; Some own microsoft, some do =
not.&nbsp; That's irrelevent because they are</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>into the tech market and as Microsoft went, so went =
the tech guys.&nbsp; Do not forget what </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>happened in the spring.&nbsp; Once the Microsoft =
stuff blew through and Microsoft got</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>crushed, they took most of the market with them and =
a lot of it isn't recovering </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>very well.&nbsp; Right or wrong, the market is =
fairly emotion driven.&nbsp; What happens to </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the giants tends to happen to the rest.&nbsp; One =
bad earnings report, tends to </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>trickle to others.&nbsp; Is the tech sector =
(companies like Cisco or Intraware or Oracle) evil?&nbsp; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Please.&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Please try to pick&nbsp; investments that are =
good for the environment and sensitive </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;to social justice issues, and be a responsible, =
activist citizen-consumer </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;instead of buying into the arrogant ethos of =
wretched excess and </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;corporate greed that MS epitomizes.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Like lawfirms suing microsoft?&nbsp; Find me that =
stock and I am there.&nbsp; This may be </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>because I am pigheaded, a yankee, or someone who =
just likes to argue, but I see this </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>newest suit as a &quot;let's get the guy with deep =
pockets&quot; suit.&nbsp; Nothing more.&nbsp; That was the </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>whole jist of my original post.&nbsp; This suit is =
to get the guy with the cash.&nbsp; Plain and </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>simple.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>To the list, I am sorry guys.&nbsp; I'll take my =