Re: Network Appliance and Oracle -- anyone using it?

From: Tom Tyson <tomtysonjr_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:02:38 -0700 (PDT)

Walt

I have had minimal experiences with running Oracle 8.1.6 on Sun Solaris 2.6 with a NetApp. The database server was 1 gig, 2 cpu Sun UE 250 with a gigabit interface to the Netapp. The database was realitively small at 500 Megs. It may have just been my imagination, but I swear the disk access seemed significantly slower than a dedicated set of disks. I however didn't have a chance to really give this configuration a good workout, it was my last week on the job. Anyways, first impression.. not impressed... However, I read an article posted on technet.oracle.com about 4 to 5 months ago that talked about a installation of 500 Oracle database servers all using Netapp's and had great success. Who knows, maybe it will do good for you. I believe that solution was configured using Redhat Linux with a specialized NFS modification made by VA Linux. Hope this gives you something to go on.. good luck.

Tom Tyson
Exodus Communications, Inc.

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere! Received on Thu Aug 31 2000 - 12:02:38 CDT