RE: Network Appliance and Oracle -- anyone using it?

From: Adams, Matthew (GEA, 088130) <MATT.ADAMS_at_APPL.GE.COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:38:09 -0400

We used Network Appliance's network attached storage devices at a goverment defense base I was subcontracting at a few years ago. It was connect via gigabit ethernet connections to multiple machines.

It was used for datafiles and flat files. We threw massive amounts of transactions as well as flat file data at this thing.

No matter how hard we tried, we
could not max out the i/o channel. The limiting factor was always the server speed, not the storage speed.

These things were FAST!

I left before we could do much of the failover or fault tolerance testing.

Matt Adams - GE Appliances - matt.adams_at_appl.ge.com <Discussing an image of a black rectangle silhouetted against the Martian landscape> "That is the top of the calibration target, that is _not_ in fact

a monolith."
- NASA TV commentator, 7/5/97