Re: What to Choose ?

From: Tom Pall <tom_at_cdproc.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:05:36 -0500

Kevin Loney came to visit for a few days last year and I spoke about HA with him. We're running on Sun/Sparc, fairly new hardware (and Sun disks [grrrrrrr]). Kevin asked me to list each failure. They clustered around the disks: losing a cable, controller problem.

"Why, then" he asked, "would you go OPS for HA?"

We are very happy with the HA path we chose: Fiber Channel, filesystem mirroring. When node A has a problem, we export the filesystems from node A, import them into node B, start Oracle on node B. Oracle looks around, sees a crashed database, performs instance recovery. We don't have autofailover of sessions, don't need it.

The Fiber Channel, filesystem mirroring also allows me to have a reporting database every day: form a mirror, break the mirror, scp a copy of the control file and archived redo logs (after a bunch of log switches on production). We start up the reporting database, recover it, open for business. ----- Original Message -----
From: Jain, Akshay <Akshay.Jain_at_cit.com> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 3:27 PM Subject: RE: What to Choose ?