Re: moving data files on Unix

From: Allan Nelson <anelson_at_houston.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 22:28:29 -0500

  1. Shutdown the database
  2. From unix cp the data files to their new location. DO NOT USE MV!
  3. startup mount. Don't open the database at this point.
  4. for each file you want to move - ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE 'old file' TO 'new file';
  5. shutdown and restart
  6. Log in and check DBA_DATA_FILES to check that all is well and you moved everything.
  7. Only at this point should you delete the old data files.
  8. Take a backup or as a minimum backup your control file.

Hope this helps

Allan