NT performance issues

From: McGlaughlin,Stewart <mcglaughlin_at_attws.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:57:36 -0400

Hello all,

A client has an Oracle NT database running on a Dec/Alpha 2 processor machine. In the factory there are 55 "scanning stations". Basically, each station scans UPCs that are stored in the database. When they have more than 40 stations scanning, the database "locks up" and takes over the machine. In the past, they have rebooted the database, and decreased the number of scanning stations. I know they have issues with redo log switches (seeing 20+/hour). I can't believe that redo log issues would cause the database to max the machine. There are some triggers that I need to investigate. Any/all suggestions welcome.

Here's some info on the current configuration: OS: NT (sp5)
Oracle8 Enterprise Edition 8.0.4.2.0 - Very Large Memory (VLM) 512M RAM
Running in NOARCHIVELOG mode

compatible = 8.0.4.0.0
db_block_buffers = 3200
db_block_size = 8192
optimizer_mode = CHOOSE
processes = 200
shared_pool_size = 12000000
sort_area_size = 65536
25 rollback segments Received on Wed Aug 30 2000 - 11:57:36 CDT