Re: Database Crash...advice needed...

From: Anil Sikri <anil_sikri_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:15:10 CDT

Hi Prashasta,

              Looking at the error, it appears that the rollback_segments entry in the init.ora wasn't commented out. The rollback segment tablespace was taken offline whereas the rollback_segment entry still remains in the parameter file. Can you check your init.ora again ?

Regards,
Anil Sikri

>From: prashasta gujrati <gujrati_at_tubes.tatasteel.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
>Subject: Database Crash...advice needed...
>Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:03:46 -0800
>

>Hi DBAs,
>
>This is the scenario : Oracle 7.3.3 on AIX 4.3.2
>
>Time Event
>
>0300 Offline backup of the database done successfully.
>1523 Hard disk failure on one of the disks(hdisk9) mounted
> on /database. This FS had 1 system DBF, 2 RBS files,
> 3 application DBFs.
>
> These files were taken offline automatically as
>reported
> in alert.log .
>
>1530 Error reported of applications not working and DB having
> crashed.
>
>1535 Database was shutdown with abort and tried doing a
> normal startup which failed. Database could only be
> mounted. It has been brought down since then.
>
>1600 Another FS was created on a different disk (hdisk10)
> and was mounted on the same mount point (/database).
>
>1630 We restored the DBFs from the offline backup which
> were residing on that mount point (/database).
>
>1640 Database startup mount. After that we issued a recover
> database which prompted for the archive files which
> were avilable on another disk and were applied. The Redo
>
> is also intact.
>
> What we see here is that it takes us to a point between
>1523
> and 1535.
>
> Now when we try to open the database it says that one of
>
> the RBS files cannot be read. We tried commenting out
>the
> rollback_segments from init.ora and then did startup
>mount.
> Thereafter, we made the RBS files offline to see if the
> database will reopen. It fails with an error message :
> ORA-00704: bootstrap process failure
> ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
> ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object
>
>After all this now we have planned to restore all the files from offline
>
>backup and use the current controlfile + redo + archives to do a PITR
>upto 1515 (few minutes before the disk failure) and then open the DB
>with resetlogs option and then take an offline backup immediately.
>
>If you all can tell me the error we made in this process, it'll help.
>Also your advice if the second approach we are taking will work
>or not ?
>
>TIA,

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at Received on Wed Aug 30 2000 - 15:15:10 CDT