More backup question...

From: Slamet Fusianto <yangken_at_cbn.net.id>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:15:17 +0700

Dear lister,

Suppose I have condition like this:
1. Do a cold backup of the database
2. Transaction occurs after the cold backup (archived log for example from 50 until 55)

3. Do a hot backup of the database (while do hotbackup archive log 56)
4. Transaction again (archived log 57 - 60).
5. Failure at this point

My question is:
1. From what I know (please correct me if I am wrong), we can delete the archive log before the backup, because it is no longer needed. So after doing hot backup (point 3) I can delete archived log 50 until 55. The problem is when trouble happens (point 5), we want to recover from point 3 but we realize that the datafile is not 'backup'-ed well, so we need datafile from point 1. But if we have deleted archived log 50 - 55, it means that we CAN NOT roll forward until point 4 ?
2. Usually how long we keep archived log or perhaps we should ALSO backup archived log 50 - 55 when doing hot backup in point 3 ? What is the preferred solution about this ?
3. In what case should we set RESETLOGS after incomplete media recovery ? Do we set to RESETLOGS if we 'feel' that data will be absolutely correct ?

Thank you very much. Please help.

Regards, Received on Wed Aug 30 2000 - 03:15:17 CDT