RE: Performance Monitoring/Tuning Tools

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:02:48 +0100

Hi Tom/List

There seem to be a number of threads from time to time on performance tools on this list. Now coming from a performance tool background, the one thing I would have to say to anybody asking for advice on tools, is:

What are your requirements? What is it that you want/need from a tool?

There are number of tools out in the market, and sometimes the 'Big Hitters' are perhaps not the best option, due to maybe costs, some on functionality or compatibility. There are also tools that are focused on certain operations - Quest's LiveReorg for example. Or you could pick up a full management package like DBGeneral, that handles reorgs, security, trend analysis, SQL tuning etc. bundled in to one tool.

If you can give a bit of information on what you are looking for from a tool, I can try and point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Mark

Author: Best, Tom (FUSA)
  INET: Tombest_at_FIRSTUSA.com