RE: Deadlock in trace!! (fwd)

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:02:26 -0500

Hey Jared,

One of our problems with the deadlock dump in the trace files is that it only dumps one of the processes that was involved in the deadlock. Makes troubleshooting very difficult.

If Jakh is unable to modify the app to relieve the deadlocks, perhaps increasing the efficency of the DB, thereby reducing the amount of time that resources are locked by any given process, might help? I'm also assuming that moving off of NT isn't feasible... ;)

A few things I saw in the init.ora:

  1. SET LOG_CHECKPOINT_INTERVAL TO A NON-ZERO NUMBER!!!! (Metalink 30754.1) This is causing a checkpoint for every redo buffer written! Personally, I don't use it. I set it to the size of the redo log / block size + some huge number. I let the log switch do my checkpointing. Also, I've set LOG_CHECKPOINT_TIMEOUT to 1800 to ensure a checkpoint every 30 minutes.
  2. Get rid of ONE of the control files on the E: drive. This is just adding more drive contention on checkpoints, which are probably killing the system right now.
  3. Try adding a high value on ENQUEUE_RESOURCES. I think the default is something terribly low, like 50. Try 2000. Note 30722.1 on MetaLink says DML_LOCKS + 700 + 20. I've found that to be a little low for me.

Try those changes, bounce, and see what happens. Of course, since this advise is free, and I'm stressed out from moving and preparing to get married, I can't be held responsible for bogus advice.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes! :)