RE: Who and What is using the shared pool

From: Tim Sawmiller <sawmillert_at_state.mi.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 07:39:52 -0400

You should pin anything that is loaded 10 times or more. The overhead of = loading the item, interpreting it, and especially finding a spot in the = pool for it in a busy system is quite high.

>>> P.West_at_g-icap.com 08/25/00 06:01AM >>>
In this case I would suggest to Lisa that she uses the reloads figure. = Also
that she looks at the trace files for objects that have failed to load and use that information to provide candidates for pinning. However, I would gently disagree with you that frequent loads are bad per se or that they = are
the best indicator of pinning candidates. I would suggest that an object that is loaded 300 times and executed 300 times might be less of a = candidate
for pinning that an object that has been loaded 200 times and executed = 2000
times. I would argue that it is the objects executed most frequently that are the ones you really need to keep in the pool. I would welcome any = other
angles on this.

Have Oracle given a reason for dropping this column? Was it providing misinformation? I will have a chase around Metalink myself. Does anyone else know how to get this information. Is it a join on hash columns? I = will
have a play when time allows.

Phil West - Impex IT ltd
Unix Sys Admin and Oracle Financials DBA Services

all opinions are worth [at most] what you paid for them

Author: Philip West
  INET: P.West_at_g-icap.com=20
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may Received on Fri Aug 25 2000 - 06:39:52 CDT