Re: 8.1.5 concatenated index problem

From: Steve McClure <steve_at_pactr.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:32:42 -0700

If you are trying to force the use of the index created only for column A, preventing the use of the concatenated index, then I believe you will need to perform some operation on Col_B in your query. Any operation will do. I use concat->||or NVL() for varchar2s and the veritable +0 for numerics.

On second thought if you are using rule based optimization, and specifying A is not null, you should not be using any index involving column A. The 'is not null' will preclude use of that column for indexing.

So either this was a trick question(for me at least), or you are looking squarely at a bug.

Steve McClure