Securing a URL, Can it be done?

From: Peter Hazelton <peterhazelton_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:50:27 GMT

Hello Everyone

I have a report server set up on my machine where I am hosting some Oracle Reports. Say the connect string is the following:

http://mymachine:port_num/dev60cgi/rwcgi60.exe?report=test.rdf+userid=user/password@ hoststring+destype=cache+desfomat=HTML+server=SERVER_NAME

This part works very well as I am able to run my report over my intranet no problem. The problem I am having is that I do not want my database username/password to show up in the URL as this poses an obvious security issue.

My plan is to make a home page where people select their report to run, they click on the link and the report runs. But how do I make the link so that people do not see the connection information? I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Peter