RE: Alert log

From: Maheshwara Rao, L., Teki <teki01_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:45:48 -0400

Yes. Oracle will create the alert file automatically when next time it needs to write some info.

<<<From Oracle Doc.

Each database also has an ALERT file. The ALERT file of a database is a chronological log of messages and errors, including
* all internal errors (ORA-600), block corruption errors (ORA-1578), and
deadlock errors (ORA-60) that occur
* administrative operations, such as the SQL statements CREATE/ALTER/DROP
DATABASE/TABLESPACE/ROLLBACK SEGMENT and the Oracle Enterprise Manager or SQL*Plus statements STARTUP, SHUTDOWN, ARCHIVE LOG, and RECOVER
* several messages and errors relating to the functions of shared server and
dispatcher processes
* errors during the automatic refresh of a snapshot
Oracle uses the ALERT file to keep a record of these events as an alternative to displaying the information on an operator's console. (Many systems also display this information on the console.) If an administrative operation is successful, a message is written in the ALERT file as "completed" along with a timestamp. >>>

teki01_at_mediaone.net