RE: FW: Timed_statistics, True or False

From: Michael Kline <maklinesr_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:00:40 -0400

This reminds me of a general management approach to performance monitoring.

On our old mainframe, "SMART" took about 8% to monitor the performance and trend the happenings...

Management saw that, and thought, "If we get rid of that, we pick up 8% more performance... They came to me and told me, "We want you to stop doing this SMART thing..." I came back with "I totally agree, but I need something from you."

"What's that?" they asked.

"When you come to me and ask why the machine is running so slow, I have to be allowed to tell you, 'I have no idea'."

They decided to let SMART continue to run...

I trended the mainframe for almost 10 years. When IBM came to suggest an upgrade and wanted to run their monitors to determine load, I gave them my trending and they said, "This is all we needed." It was also what told me when we pulled PROFS and went to Oracle Office, we only downloaded 30% of the load off the mainframe, not 100% as management tried to say.

Yes, there is an overhead with monitoring, but if you've got problems, there are times you need to know. Fortunately we can turn it on and off now, so there is a case, as Rachel has said with HP, that you may want to leave it off, but then turn it on for an hour or so if there is a problem you can't seem to put your finger on.

        TOP SESSIONS BY CPU USAGE

	User Name                                     Session ID              CPU
	-----------                                   ------------            -----
--------
	SYSTEM                                        18                      11279
	TOPSDATA                                      34                      1940
	TOPSDATA                                      27                      1289
	TOPSDATA                                      99                      1115
	SYSTEM                                        113                     692
	TOPSDATA                                      69                      622

The above would tell us that number 18 needs to be checked into... and 34, 27, and 99 are not far behind when the rest drop to the 600 and far less. This is a system I know though, and 18 is a report processor which runs report after report and wakes up almost every 5-30 seconds, so even idle is pretty bad.

(alter system set timed_statistics = true/false)

Michael Kline
ThinkSpark
Richmond, VA
804-744-1545