RE: Timed_statistics, True or False

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:08:32 -0700 (PDT)

Lyall,

I think the issue is not with how Kirsten issued the command, but it could be that her version of Oracle does not support the timed_statistics parameter to be modified without setting it in the init.ora and bouncing the database. More recent versions of Oracle (7.3.0 and above I think), does support timed_statistics to be modified at the "instance level" using the ALTER SYSTEM command, without having to bounce the database.

Although, there has been much debate on this topic lately, in my experience across many versions of Oracle and across many platforms, I have not seen any significant (measurable) degradation. The degradation on HP-UX 10.20 needs to be qualified with the exact version of Oracle with the installed O-S patches for 10.20, where such a performance degradation was experienced. Other factors such as System CPU bottlenecks should also be considered while measuring the "degradation".

The down-side of not having timed_statistics turned on is pretty huge, as performance-related dynamic performance views, such as v$session_wait will have bogus information. Well why go that far, the CPU and Elapsed numbers coming out of your tkprof outputs will be 0 and hence useless. I am sure there are platform-specific bugs related to this parameter, on specific hardware platforms with specific versions of Oracle and with specific O/S patch levels.

The necessary "bug" research needs be done on this before implementing this or any other parameter that is "kernel intrusive". However, I'd urge us as a group not to make "blanket statements" about this or similar issues, as there are too many variables out there (hardware platforms, O/S versions, O/S patch levels, Oracle versions, System Bottlenecks etc.)

Best Regards,

Gaja

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
Director, Storage Management Products
Quest Software Inc.
(972)-304-1170
gajav_at_yahoo.com Received on Tue Aug 22 2000 - 11:08:32 CDT