opinion needed: when sqlserver & not Oracle

From: <Kip.Bryant_at_Vishay.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:33:16 -0700

Hi,

I don't want to start any holy war. I can just see the hackles rising over this one already.... I would just like an opinion on the following scenerio:

An application was developed without consulting anyone who might have to actually support it (that's a whole OTHER topic). It includes having a database on an NT server at various remote sites around the world where local IT staff will be "minimal" or even non-existent. To make matters worse, I don't have any information about expected transaction volume or projected database size. I realize that I can do a fair amount of monitoring / administration remotely but, to be truthful, I'm not too crazy about supporting remote databases...especially if they are on NT instead of UNIX.

My question is this: at what point (txn volume / db size) would it be reasonable to push this back to sqlserver over Oracle? Or am I just being lazy? The assumption by management is that less well trained people could manage sqlserver and support problems would not come to me (ha ha).

Humbly, Received on Tue Aug 22 2000 - 12:33:16 CDT