partition merging

From: <mteehan_at_erggroup.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:57:29 +0800

Hi Folks
I am considering using partition merging for my range partitions. I have a table with two date based range partitions : "today" and "previous", each with a local prefixed index. Each day I want to merge today to previous, and create a new today partition (Previous will eventually have about 400million records, each today has about 10million). Question : does a merge rebuild BOTH partitions being merged, or just add the second partition to the first? My reading of the doco says it rebuilds both, which seems silly - it has to move 400 million records about when it only really needs to move 10million. Rebuilding the local index partitions is not something that I can avoid, but I dont want to have to re-read and copy the entire large partition every day. Do I understand this correctly - anyone else out there using partition merge - or is there another way to do this? (p.s. I cannot run with multiple daily partitions for memory reasons. Environment is 8162 OPS on solaris 2.6).

tia
Mark Teehan