RE: DISK configuration - help please.

From: Jeffery Stevenson <jeff_at_mpv.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:16:28 -0500

  If you want to see really interesting results (especially if you are using hardware RAID with a caching controller), you want to do enough writes to saturate the cache. The memory on most of today's controllers will allow the writes to maintain a decent performance rate until that memory fills up (and then you will really pay the price). On another note, the thing that caught my attention on Rivaldi's little benchmark was that it looked like he was comparing data striped across _five_ disks versus data striped across _three_ disks...2¢ off to the ether (still trying to contribute to the list even though work has gotten really busy).

Jeffery Stevenson
Chief Database Geek
Medical Present Value, Inc.
Austin, TX

Author: Rivaldi Bahar
  INET: rivaldi_bahar_at_hotmail.com

Author: LoughMiller, Gregory
  INET: Gregory_LoughMiller_at_bscc.bls.com