Re:RE: Migration from HP-UX 10.20 to HP-UX 11 and Oracle 7.3

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:17:08 -0400

Ron,

    8.1.x comes in either 32 or 64 bit, but ONLY on HP-UX 11.0. HP-UX 10.20 is not supported by 8.1.

Dick Goulet

Subject: RE: Migration from HP-UX 10.20 to HP-UX 11 and Oracle 7.3.4 Author: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS_at_galottery.org> Date: 8/18/00 11:15 AM

If I understand correctly, 8.0.x can be 32/64 bit but migrating to 8.1.x causes data dict corruption id the 8.0.x is 64 bit. The 8.1.x can only be 32 bit.  Is this correct? I thought that it is what I was told ay an application users group meeting.
2bits:
Ron ROgers
DBA OCP
Atl.GA
>>> lkoivu_at_qode.com 08/18/00 11:44AM >>>
Dick, you say that 64-bit is faster than 32-bit. We recently had to investigate whether or not to go 64-bit (we are also HP/UX 11.0) with the O/S and the RDBMS. I searched the net exhaustively trying to find something other than 'you can have an SGA larger than 2GB' for a reason to choose 64bit. I read that 64-bit was only really beneficial to very large OLTP systems (which we aren't, really).

Can you substantiate your statement below? I would be interested in any metrics, white papers, ANYTHING that would explain this in more detail. I understand the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit, I just am at a loss to understand what exactly this buys me.

I was also wary of choosing 64-bit for the RDBMS because we are HP/UX, the second tier for patches, upgrades, etc. Undesirable situation to be in, to begin with (in my opinion). I thought if we then went 64-bit RDBMS we would have to wait even longer for patches and upgrades.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Happy Friday everyone, I'm off to Vegas!! Lisa
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Author: "Mohammad Rafiq" <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date:       8/17/00 12:17 PM

Hi Gurus

I need expert guidance for our future move to HP-UX 11 from HP-UX 10.20.

Existing setup:
Platform HP
HP-UX 10.20
Oracle 7.3.4.5
Oracle Financials 10.7(Char) with Oracle Manufacturing/Bill Of Materials Customized forms(2.3) and reports(2.5)

Future Move:
Platform HP
New Machine
HP-UX 11
Oracle 8.1.6
Oracle Financials Release 11i
Conversion of Customized Forms & Reports to Forms/Reports 6i

Please advise your experience or opinion to carry out above migration smoothly as Oracle Support guidance is so far contradictory.

Regards
Rafiq

Author: Mohammad Rafiq
  INET: rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com