Re: autoextend system

From: Michael Ray <Michael.Ray_at_trw.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:04:02 -0700

Advantages:
Less admin to do

Disadvantages:
See above

Currently we use the autoextend feature as that is how I inherited the =

databases when our DBA left. All our tables only grow (no deletes) so it =
is a good thing for me until I learn how to do this job better. I do not =
understand a couple of the responses regarding having files all over the =
place though. Autoextend will never add any files to the OS. Autoextend is = datafile-specific so it just allows THAT datafile to grow to the MAXSIZE = that was specified or UNLIMITED, which is the default. Once you reach that = MAXSIZE, you still need to manually add a new datafile for more data.

In summary, if you use it, be sure to set MAXSIZE or your files can grow = forever and can eventually corrupt your db (see Note 112011.1). Per that = Note, you should set MAXSIZE accordingly. Other than that, the only thing = to worry about is making sure you have all the diskspace needed if all = your files were at their MAXSIZE. You still need to check your datafiles = though so you know when to add another, but it can be done easily at the = OS level now. For example, all my files except SYSTEM have MAXSIZE of 4GB = so I can very quickly see when one is near that (it will increase in = increments of the NEXT parameter).

There isn't a good need for it if your tables don't grow or grow slowly.=20=

Michael Ray
DBA in training