study/school plan to develop with Oracle (denver)

From: Peter J. Schoenster <webmaster_at_rede.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 19:13:09 -0600

Hi,

I was recently presented with developing on a website with Oracle as rdbms. Previously I've always used mysql/postgresql.

I got a guy to install/configure Oracle 8i and I can take a Perl/DBI/DBD script that works with mysql and just change the driver string and it works on Oracle. The Oracle response even for the most basic table setup (no optimizing at all) has been quite impressive.

I am seeking suggestions and sources of info on how to best create tables/indexes, when and if to use PL/SQL or just plain old SQL, how to use Oracle to help me improve performance for the SQL queries (inserts/updates only occur at off-peak times), when to use views, ... all sorts of things related to what I would call developing databases as opposed to maintaining them and Oracle which I would consider the work of a DBA.

I live in Englewood, CO and there is an Amerinfo school nearby (Aurora) that has an introduction to Oracle for US$500 ... I wonder if that will just give me from the few Oracle books I currently own and am reading/perusing/studying:

ORA - Oracle Design (Ensor & Stevenson, 1997) Oracle Press - Oracle 8i A Beginner's Guide Oracle Press - DBA Certification Exam Guide (Couchman, 1998)

All suggestions readily appreciated: schools, courses, books, urls .. I am member of technet and I joined the oracle online edu yesterday.

Peter

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away". Received on Sat Aug 19 2000 - 20:13:09 CDT