AW: Viewing NT services

From: Schoen Volker <v.schoen_at_inplan.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:25:44 +0200

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_000_01C0081C.5B332620

        charset="iso-8859-1"

I have a tool called "Service control utility" (SVC.EXE), can't = rememeber
where I have downloaded it. With this tool you can view, start, stop = ... NT
Services on local and remote machines. Attached the readme for this = tool.
EXE couldn't be sent to the list.

regards

Volker Sch=F6n
E-Mail: mailto:v.schoen_at_inplan.de
http://www.inplan.de

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Marin Dimitrov [mailto:marin_at_sirma.bg] Gesendet: Mittwoch, 16. August 2000 20:07 An: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Betreff: Re: Viewing NT services

> Hi Folks,
>
> Does anyone out there know of a way to view NT services (both on =
local and
> remote nodes) from the DOS shell. I'm hoping to write some batch =
command
> file that will include this as part of it's functionality, with a =
view to
> checking status of Oracle related services.

"NET START" will show the services started at the moment at the local machine
"NET SERVICES" will show u the services u can start

I don't think u can do anything about services on remote nodes

hth,

    Marin

"And it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel  is just a freight train coming your way... "

--=20
Author: Marin Dimitrov
  INET: marin_at_sirma.bg

------_=_NextPart_000_01C0081C.5B332620

        name="Readme.txt"

        filename="Readme.txt"

svc Service Control Utility Version 1.0.0.7206

This utility starts, stops, pauses, continues or lists information about services on the specified system. svc has been tested on Windows NT Version 4.0, with Service Pack 3 installed and no Hot Fixes.

License:

svc is a free utility. It may be freely used and distributed as long as the copyright information in the program file remains intact.

Warranty:

svc is provided "as is". There is no warranty.

Usage/Help:

usage: svc [-acdhlLpst?] [-m Server] [Service] [Service Arguments]

    a  - List all services.
    c  - Continue, (Restart), the specified service.
    d  - List detailed information about the specified service.
    h  - Help, (this).
    l  - List active services.
    L  - List inactive services.
    p  - Pause the specified service.
    s  - Start the specified service.
    t  - Stop the specified service.
    ?  - Usage.
    m  - Specify a Server to act on.

    Service -
    The service to start, stop, pause or continue. This is the Service     name, not the Service Display Name.

    Service Arguments-
     arguments to pass to the service, (Start only).

With no arguments, svc lists the started services on the local system. If only a service name is specified, then the status of that service is displayed.

Only one of "-a", "-c", "-l", "-L", "-s", and "-p" may be specified on the command line.

Examples:

svc
 Display active services on the local machine.

svc -mpooh
 Display active services on the "POOH" machine.

svc -L
 Display inactive services on the local machine.

svc -d
 Display detailed information about the active services on the local  machine.

svc -ad
 Display detailed information about all services on the local machine.

svc -s myservice
 Start the service "myservice" on the local machine.

svc -s -mpooh myotherservice foo bar baz  Start the service "myotherservice" on the "POOH" machine with the  arguments "foo", "bar" and "baz".

svc -t mydoomedservice
 Stop the service "mydoomedservice" on the local machine.

Detail Output:

If the "-d" option is specified on a display command, svc presents detailed service information. For example:

Wins service on system MERSOFT:

  Wins:

    ServiceType:     OwnProcess
    State:           Running
    Controls:        Stop;Pause/Continue;Shutdown
    SystemExitCode: 0
    ServiceExitCode: 0
    CheckPoint:      0
    WaitHint:        0
    StartType:       Auto
    ErrorControl:    Normal
    ModuleName:      D:\NT40\System32\wins.exe
    LoadGroup:       [None]
    TagId:           0
    RunAccount:      LocalSystem
    DisplayName:     Windows Internet Name Service
    Dependencies: RPCSS;NTLMSSP;

When displaying detailed information about inactive services, you are likely to see a "435" value for the SystemExitCode. This Error Code means simply that no attempt has been made to run the given service since the last boot.

Installation:

Installation is simple; just copy the executable into a directory listed in the %Path% Environment variable. The distribution also includes debug symbols. This file should be copied into %SystemRoot%\Symbols\Exe, in order for ntsd, (or windbag, I guess), to find it.

Note that the .DBG symbol file is needed only if you want to run the Received on Thu Aug 17 2000 - 02:25:44 CDT