RE: Sr. Oracle DBA Needed in Ft. Lauderdale, FL..

From: Larry G. Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:17:16 -0500

I started working with Oracle back in late 87 or early 88. Oracle 5 on a PC using Forms 2.0, RPT/RPF, etc. Best I remember, it was around 30 floppies. I never did run into corruption like you did; but, it sure did take a long time to install. My employer handed me the manuals and disks and said get after it. No money for training or anything. Oracle user group publications were a real help. Got involved with Oracle on DEC's not long after that. Got into the Oracle / UNIX world around 92 or 93.

Once I started to get a good (or at least better) grasp of Forms 2.0/2.3, I learned, like most others did, how to work directly in the INP file, being careful not to foul things up. Used the Forms 2.0/2.3 interface to build the screen(s) and base blocks; but, did most of the work in the INP file. Heck, had entire INP "libraries" that I could suck in, and, replace "tags" to customize the code for that specific form. Even in Forms 3.0, I, like a lot of others, still did a large amount of work directly in the INP file.

I had come from a mainframe environment using ADABAS/NATURAL, COBOL, JCL, CICS, TSO, etc. The change to Oracle was overwhelming at first, not the database side as much as with Forms being an event driven tool versus the procedural type of stuff I had been doing. I did both the DBA and development thing for the first 6 years, but decided to focus on the development side of the house for the last few years. Great choice, now I can tell people that I am a duhveloper ;-).

Sorry for being so long winded; but, I do think back on those days and remember the struggles (and minor triumphs) I faced. It helps keep things in perspective.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
The Elkins Organization Inc.
elkinsl_at_flash.net