RE: Search Engines-Amazon

From: Bob VanderMey <BVanderMey_at_OrderZone.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 07:51:11 -0500

Lisa,

I'm not sure what search engine Amazon is using, but, if you are in the market for a search engine, you may want to look at Verity's products. We were going to use Verity Light, which came with our Broadvision product, but decided on Verity's K2 product. This had a much larger scalabilty. There was ability to search by ranking, natural language, advanced querying (such as like), it built its own keywords, ability to use a Thesaurus so it could find mispelled words, etc. It was pretty quick also. We never did any real performance statistics on it since the project was stopped when our company was merged with Works.com. But, it looks like we may be going back to it for our product search.

Bob VanderMey
Oracle DBA
Works.com
847 573-2687