sun and oracle accounts

From: Steff Gonos <steff_gonos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:55:45 -0700 (PDT)

In light of the topics about SA I am have a problem that maybe you all can shed some light on.

I am running Solaris 7 and Oracle 8.1.5. Many months back I created an Oracle account under both the Sun system and Oracle. I also created an id called PROTO with the same permissions. They worked.

Now, after some time, PROTO is hosed. Here is what is happening. When I log on the Sun box directly using ORACLE and then login to oracle using that ID all is good. If I stay on the sun box as Oracle, then switch to PROTO to get to the database, all is good.

If I logout of the Sunbox and come in as PROTO, I get in to the OS, if I try to use PROTO to login to oracle, I get all the standard, TNS names, Oracle not available messages (I try various combinations of login/password and instance, instance.world..... which will change the error messages I am getting.

This tells me that when I come in as PROTO something is wrong, yet using the Oracle ID, and then switching to PROTO is ok. I have tried to check the paths and copied and recopied the shells to ensure that they are the same. I am running C-shell by the way.

Can anyone more knowledgable in Solaris point me where else

to look? I've even created a new id, copying the .cshrc and .login files to the new id, from the ORACLE working one,
and still get the same problems.

Thanks a lot.
Steff Gonos
TASC - Litton.

 A day without sunshine is like, well, night.

Steff Gonos
steff_gonos_at_yahoo.com

Do You Yahoo!?
Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger. Received on Wed Aug 16 2000 - 10:55:45 CDT