RE: Rowid problem

From: Randy Christiansen <randy_christiansen_at_auto-soft.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:45:45 -0600

Here it is . . .
create or replace view ViewName as
(
(select ROWID RID, col1, col2, . . from Table1)
UNION ALL
(select ROWID RID, col1, col2, . . from Table2)

        UNION ALL
(select ROWID RID, col1, col2, . . from Table2)
)

We've noticed that Oracle uses this error when dealing with ROWIDs to signify
"0 rows returned" unlike other queries which do tell you "0 rows returned" if your
value doesn't exist. I guess that's what you get when you deal with "pseudo-columns". :)

Thanks,
Randy J. Christiansen
Oracle Guy
Brooks Automation - Auto-Soft Division
Randy.christiansen_at_brooks.com

(select ROWID RID, col1, col2, . . from Table1)
UNION ALL
(select ROWID RID, col1, col2, . . from Table2)

        UNION ALL
(select ROWID RID, col1, col2, . . from Table2)
)

We've noticed that Oracle uses this error when dealing with ROWIDs to signify
"0 rows returned" unlike other queries which do tell you "0 rows returned" if your
value doesn't exist. I guess that's what you get when you deal with "pseudo-columns". :)

Thanks,
Randy
I would need to see the creation script for the view >>> Randy Christiansen <randy_christiansen_at_auto-soft.com> 08/14/00 02:47PM >>>
Hello Everybody,
We are running Oracle 8.0.5.1 on DEC UNIX. I was wondering if anyone has run into this unique situation and possibly has a solution:
We have a view that connects 10 tables through union all (poor man's partitioning, since I have a BLOB) this view grabs the rowids through an alias which works fine (the alias makes it work). The problem is when we use this list of rowids to get data from these tables. We consistently get an ORA-01410 "invalid ROWID". We have verified that the rowids do exist.
Any ideas?

Author: Randy Christiansen
INET: randy_christiansen_at_auto-soft.com

command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: William Beilstein
INET: BeilstWH_at_obg.com