RE: Cold backup on Windows NT/2000

From: Nikolay Kumanov <nkumanov_at_zgb.bg>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:04:22 +0300

Stopping the service is not necessarily shutdown abort. There are registry parameters that control the behavior. See chapter 7 of the admin guide for Winnt. I think that you can set

ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN='TRUE' (default is FALSE) ORA_SID_SHUTDOWNTYPE='I' (the default, or 'N' or 'A')

and then stopping the service will do shutdown immediate

ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT supposedly controls the time (in seconds) to wait for the instance to shut down.

HTH, Dr. Nikolay Kumanov

MIS Manager, Zeitungsgruppe Bulgarien GmbH 47, Tsarigradsko chaussee, Sofia 1504, Bulgaria phone: +(359-2)4339-643, fax: +(359-2)946-1286 mailto:nkumanov_at_zgb.bg

"Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock." - Frank Herbert, "Chapterhouse: Dune"

Author: Helmut Daiminger
  INET: hdaiminger_at_vivonet.com