Re: Which version of Oracle for Linux?

From: karl craven <karl_craven_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:56:37 -0700 (PDT)

shreepad,
sorry but you won't get far with that. 8i, specifically rel 2 with jv and all of the associated intermedia extensions is an absolute resource pig.

jv will require about an additional 100+mb for system tablespace alone, context will take a 50+mb tablespace etc etc.

with regards to memory, 64mb is probably being pushed even at this time and with the intro of 8i, things can only get better .... not !

i think steve adams forewarned sometime ago on the default value of the java pool being around 9mb (which you can obviously tune). from memory (pardon the pun), the installer also enforces that you utilise a minimum value for your shared area which is quite ridiculous.

i've seen about 4 installs of the new installer and there are quite some amazing default init.ora parameters used in the startup pfile which will undoubtedly send your box into a swap spin.

ive seen db_block_buffers = 25000+ ( yes larry fans 25000*8192) shared_pool_sizes of over 100mb+
log_buffer over 10mb+

basically found the best thing to do with the installer was to go all the way through, save db build scripts to file, edit your init.ora files sufficient to meet your needs as creating the db can take quite some time when you have parameters as per above.

and above all, dont forget to rtfm re the necessary kernel parms.

what hardware ? well undoubtedly memory, memory, memory and with regards to everything else, build to suit your/your bosses requirement.

hth
kc
--- Shreepad Vaidya <Shreepad.Vaidya_at_alltel.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
> I would like to install ORACLE 8i on Linux.
>
> Can i install in on 64 MB RAM.................Are there any specific
> hardware requirments.
> Any suggestions.?
> Are there any specific hardware requirments to run JVM (in terms of
> disk space , RAM)?
> I currently have Intel (Pentium) and Linux 6.2 .
>
> thanks
> shreepad
> --
> Author: Shreepad Vaidya
> INET: Shreepad.Vaidya_at_alltel.com

> San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
> Lists

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail – Free email you can access from anywhere! Received on Mon Aug 14 2000 - 05:56:37 CDT