Re: InterMedia Text vs.Mercado IntuiFind

From: Tom Tyson <tomtysonjr_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:19:15 -0700 (PDT)

Lisa

I had a previous experience with InterMedia Text on 8.1.6 on HP/UX 11.0 and all I can say is it was very unpleasant. We were running an Internet app that we developed, with the database running in MTS mode. The application database resided with the intermedia indexes (which is a must anyway, unless you replicate the data out to a searchable database). The Intermedia text searches that took place were for searching text on web sites that were created by our users. The amount of users we had was around 50,000 with a average of 3-4 web pages per user. With that in mind, in a short order of time we could chew up a 300 MegaByte SGA in half in hour with intermedia queries. We would often get ORA-600 errors indicating that the shared pool was too fragmented, and it couldn't allocate space. We tried to optimize our intermedia queries and add memory to our shared pool, but it seemed to gobble that up just as fast. After speaking with Oracle World wide support, they indicated that Intermedia was indeed a "HOG" (Their exact words), and they have internet customers that have to flush their shared pool every couple minutes to keep up.

Soooo, with that said.. If I were you I would either use it and put it on another database using replication to migrate all database changes to a searchable database, or use another product. The main problem with the ORA-600 errors that were happening, was that it caused intermedia to freak out and when a transaction was trying to commit data and it would FAIL! This was occuring because intermedia was unable to update it's indexes and could not complete the transaction. So not only does it cause problems with the SGA, but it also causes problems with any transaction that has a Domain Index (Intermedia Text Index) attached to a column that is being updated, inserted or deleted.

The other option, don't worry about it and use something else.. Less problems

Tom Tyson
Oracle DBA
Exodus Communications, Inc.

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail – Free email you can access from anywhere! Received on Mon Aug 14 2000 - 11:19:15 CDT