Re: Fooling with roles

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:49:47 -0400

You can create the roles you need role1,role2,role3,etc and assigh = different privileges to each role and then grant the roles to each other = up the chain.
As example;
grant select any table to role1,
grant delete any table to role2.
grant role1 to role2.
role1 can select but not delete and role2 can select and delete. Hope this helps.
Ron Rogers
DBA OCP
Atl.GA

>>> ismgr_at_pctc.com 08/11/00 08:01PM >>>

I'm starting to paper-design our security layout for some new software. = Our
plan is to assign people levels of security, like AP(1-9), ISSUING(1-9), RECEIVABLES(1-9), HR(1-9), etc etc. There's nothing special about the = range
1-9, just seems intuitive.
Each level will be a superset of the one below it, i.e. each level = includes
all the privileges of all levels below. People will have multiple clearances (because we're a small company), so someone might be an HR-2, = an
AR-4, an AP-1, etc.

I'm planning to create a ROLE for each level of each security type. I have the following questions and concerns...

  1. Can I explicitly include a lower role in a higher role? For instance, can I define AR-2 as AR-1 + some new privileges? I don't mean conceptually,=

I mean can I actually define AR-2 in Oracle as AR-1 + some more stuff, = such
that if I add a privilege to AR-1, it automatically propagates up the = chain?

2) If not, I'll have to either explicitly assign increasingly larger sets of privileges to higher roles, or I'll have to assign a given role plus = all
below it to each user. Which way is more efficient? Or more to the point, which one is *less* efficient?

---
Dennis Taylor
---
The opinions expressed herein are mine. Get your own opinions!
---
--=20
Author: Dennis Taylor
  INET: ismgr_at_pctc.com=20