RE: Some Latch Questions

From: Elliott, Patrick <Patrick.Elliott_at_bestbuy.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:46:56 -0500

Here is what I found in MetaLink:

Cache buffers LRU chain latch:..............................
        Increasing the parameters DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS and DB_BLOCK_WRITE_BATCH
        (undocumented in Oracle7) will reduce waits on this kind of latches.

From: Oracle, Helen Schoone <mailto:hschoone_at_us.oracle.com>23-Dec-99 14:54 Subject: Re : PMON failed to acquire latch, see PMON dump

Hi. Actually, this latch is not acquired based on an alter session command, we get this latch during user session initialization. We need to get the latch at this time because we are copying the parameter values which are stored in the SGA to private memory.

However, as stated by Bumby, this has usually occurred as a side effect of other contention which was resolved after tuning to resolve that issue. Regards,
Helen Schoone
Oracle Server EE Analyst