RE: Segmentation Fault(coredump)

From: Tamara Swilley <tswilley_at_agency.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:44:30 -0600

Roy,

        I'm on Oracle 8.1.5 and I get a segmentation fault about 10 times day, specifically when I do a table describe (any table). I was told the following by one of our Unix SA types.

Segmentation faults are generally caused by misbehaving software accessing memory outside
their process space. In general, this should mean sqlplus, or some Oracle component, is malfunctioning, and not the operating system
-otherwise all kinds of things would be blowing up.

My initial suggestions:
1) Check for patches to the version of Oracle and apply any if needed. Also check Oracle for listings of potentially incompatible Solaris patches or required
Solaris patches.
2) Try accessing instance from a different server and see if the problem happens
there too -as you may then be able to track down some versioning things. 3) Be _very_ aware of your $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH values. There may be more than one version of Oracle on the server, and this behavior would not be
unexpected if your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables cause mixed combinations
of executables and Oracle shared libraries. 4) A LONG shot, but you might also try exec-ing another shell before you run sqlplus.

I'm still researching and I still have the problem as well.

Tamara

Author: Roy Ferguson
  INET: rferguso_at_level1.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Aug 14 2000 - 17:44:30 CDT