Way off topic: counting the 1-bits?

From: Kirsch, Walter J, PERSCOM <kirschw_at_hoffman.army.mil>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 17:27:44 -0400

Somewhere in a past life, I remember coming across an algorithm for counting the number of 1-bits in a string of n-bits; but I've forgotten where. Jog any memories? And yes, it's pertinent to a project I have going: ( Keep track of the number of days, day-by-day, that each of x-million individuals has been 'doing-something' for the last 20-30 years. Bit strings, in 365 bit chuncks, seems like an efficient way to keep track of an individual's yearly participation. Yes? Any suggestions?) TIA Received on Sun Aug 13 2000 - 16:27:44 CDT