RE: Suggestions for Oracle Corp.

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 05:21:12 +1000

Hi Patrice,

Have you found this URL yet?
http://technet.oracle.com:2000/

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/
http://www.christianity.net.au/

-----Original Message-----
From: Boivin, Patrice J [mailto:BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca] Sent: Saturday, 12 August 2000 1:48
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: Suggestions for Oracle Corp.

Is there a place we can send suggestions to Oracle Corp. on how they could
improve their products? The company is so big, and I fear that suggestions
would just dissipate into a morass.

Nothing major, just a few annoying undocumented "features" that should be
relatively easy to fix in my opinion, and suggestions that might improve their business prospects.

Right now, I can think of the following:

The installation process should be included in their OCP certification courses. So should upgrading.

On NT:
The installer should register Oracle software properly with the OS - just
like most other Windows software does. I know Microsoft will probably never
want to certify Oracle against its OS because it is a competitor, but at least Oracle could aim to reach the criteria MS sets for most Windows software.
Oracle should register individual databases with the NT Performance Monitor.
Not being able to implies that Oracle for NT is intended to have only one
instance per sever... Otherwise the performance monitor is rather useless.
I know there are other ways of doing PT against Oracle, I am thinking of all
those MCSEs out there who might be more impressed with Oracle if they could
understand it without much effort. At least it would have a "familiar look
and feel". There are over 200,000 MCSEs out there, wooing 10% more of them
will help boost sales for sure.
Oracle should register itself properly with the Event Viewer. I know that
the Event Viewer API is archaic, and that it's a pain, but maybe more could
be done to improve compatibility.
I notice that in 8i lsnrctl start and lsnrctl stop work properly, the changes are reflected in the Services applet. Whoever did this should get a
medal!

On UNIX:
I am not sure, but sometimes specifies parameters as being "OS dependent",
and when we receive the product nowhere in the documentation are values listed for these parameters for our particular platform. It would be helpful if they were.

Half seriously:
Microsoft sells polo shirts, etc., even baseball caps (?! How many nerds play baseball? Fun for them is C++ and Quake3). In Canada we can't buy anything like that from Oracle's web site. (The shirts, etc., not the games.)
Maybe Oracle could sell data dictionary posters (DBA_ views and V$, X$ views/tables) for the different versions. Why not sell posters that have to
do with the OEM, the OAS/OiS, Oracle applications. Why can't we download / purchase demos of the Oracle applications? Is it
because SAP doesn't offer them, therefore Oracle won't either?

Technology Tracks
I have a problem with the Internet Technologies technology track, they only
send the first release of each product, e.g. 8.0.4, 8.1.5.0.0. These tend
to be buggy, I would like Oracle to send updates once a year. The technology tracks are a marketing tool, not just for developers. Show us
that your products work well by sending us updates whenever significant minor releases are issued.

Oracle Press
I have an idea for yet another Oracle Press book (heh heh as if there aren't
enough already), one that would take articles / recommendations from the Oracle center for excellence, package them together and publish them.

I am sure that more experienced DBAs and Developers will have other things
to add to the list. I have only been at this for a little more than a year.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO

E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca <mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca