RE: Data conversion

From: Yigal Ran <ydran_at_usa.net>
Date: 11 Aug 00 11:11:18 EDT

Larry,

Thanks for the response, I am planning on transferring documents that are=

larger than the 32K bytes which is the SQL*Loader limit. I was wondering=  if
Lotus Notes have the ability to insert large data fields into BLOB or CLO= B.

Thanks again

Yigal

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =

From: "Larry G. Elkins" <elkinsl_at_flash.net> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:11:54 -0500
Subject: RE: Data conversion

Yigal,

There are numerous ways to get Notes data into an Oracle database. What =

route you want to take depends upon a number of factors. It has been a wh= ile
since I have had to do any Notes to Oracle or vice versa type of stuff; s= o,
some things may have changed.

You can do it directly using products such as NotesPump, or, other 3rd pa= rty
products. You can write LotusScript programs to directly read the Notes d= ata
and insert into Oracle, or, you can export the data from Notes and use SQL*Loader to blow in the data. This is not an exhaustive list of the way= s to
accomplish this.

For example, when faced with a one time transfer, I selected the Notes Vi= ew
that contained the data and exported it to a flat file and used SQL*Loade= r to
load it in. It's been a while; but, I think you could also export it out = to a
1-2-3 spreadsheet, which was one easy step away from creating a csv file.=  At
times we used the Notes ODBC driver to access the data and create a file =

--
maybe connecting to the Notes database from MS Acess, bringing in the dat=
a,

Notes programmer, through the on-line help examples and some examples at =
the
Lotus support site, I was able to get something done in about a day (a re=
al
Notes programmer would probably have a field day laughing at my code; but=
, it
got the job done). Considering I'm not a Notes programmer and I got in go=
ing
in a day, it obviously wasn't that tough.

If this is a one time conversion of application and its data, maybe they =
are
migrating the app to Oracle, you might just want to dump all the data to =
files
and use SQL*Loader. With all that said, I still had to create the appropr=
iate
table(s) on the Oracle side, or, insert/update existing tables.  Back whe=
n I
did this 4 or 5 years ago, it wasn't like there was some tool that would
automatically create the Oracle structures and migrate the data.  Maybe t=
here
is now.

Anyway, I've just barely touched on the surface here. The bottom line is =
that
it is not that difficult to get the Notes data out to a flat file from wh=
ich
point it isn't very tough to then use SQL*Loader to load the data. For yo=
ur
purposes, you might need an approach that does a direct transfer allowing=

Notes and Oracle to communicate. Once again, it wasn't real difficult to =
do
the coding. Or, if this is an ongoing need to migrate data, maybe you get=

something like Notespump or some other 3rd party product that prevents yo=
from having to do the coding all.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line. I don't know how =
 much
help I can be; but, there were lots of times I had to get data from one i=
nto
the other.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
The Elkins Organization Inc.
elkinsl_at_flash.net
214.954.1781

Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=3D1

 From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
 Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:16:51 -0700 (PDT)
 Subject: RE: locking issues

Kevin,

Did you take a look at 'DEADLOCKS' in the Oracle Concepts Manual?

There's info there on avoiding them.  I bring this up because I
haven't seen it mentioned in this thread.   The order that locks
are taken out can be a cause of deadlocks.

Jared