RE: locking issues

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:16:51 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin,

Did you take a look at 'DEADLOCKS' in the Oracle Concepts Manual?

There's info there on avoiding them. I bring this up because I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread. The order that locks are taken out can be a cause of deadlocks.

Jared

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Toepke, Kevin M wrote:

> Yes. Bitmap indexes are locked whenever any row that the bitmap points to is
> locked -- which could mean 1000s of rows are locked whenever 1 row is
> updated!
>
> And, yes. This was part of the original problem. When we dropped the bitmap
> index, we still got deadlocking -- until I rewrote the code to clean up the
> logic.
>
> Kevin

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address Received on Fri Aug 11 2000 - 10:16:51 CDT