Suggestions for Oracle Corp.

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:36:07 -0300

Is there a place we can send suggestions to Oracle Corp. on how they = could
improve their products? The company is so big, and I fear that = suggestions
would just dissipate into a morass.

Nothing major, just a few annoying undocumented "features" that should = be
relatively easy to fix in my opinion, and suggestions that might = improve
their business prospects.

Right now, I can think of the following:

The installation process should be included in their OCP certification courses. So should upgrading.

On NT:
The installer should register Oracle software properly with the OS - = just
like most other Windows software does. I know Microsoft will probably = never
want to certify Oracle against its OS because it is a competitor, but = at
least Oracle could aim to reach the criteria MS sets for most Windows software.
Oracle should register individual databases with the NT Performance = Monitor.
Not being able to implies that Oracle for NT is intended to have only = one
instance per sever... Otherwise the performance monitor is rather = useless.
I know there are other ways of doing PT against Oracle, I am thinking = of all
those MCSEs out there who might be more impressed with Oracle if they = could
understand it without much effort. At least it would have a "familiar = look
and feel". There are over 200,000 MCSEs out there, wooing 10% more of = them
will help boost sales for sure.
Oracle should register itself properly with the Event Viewer. I know = that
the Event Viewer API is archaic, and that it's a pain, but maybe more = could
be done to improve compatibility.
I notice that in 8i lsnrctl start and lsnrctl stop work properly, the changes are reflected in the Services applet. Whoever did this should = get a
medal!

On UNIX:
I am not sure, but sometimes specifies parameters as being "OS = dependent",
and when we receive the product nowhere in the documentation are values listed for these parameters for our particular platform. It would be helpful if they were.

Half seriously:
Microsoft sells polo shirts, etc., even baseball caps (?! How many = nerds
play baseball? Fun for them is C++ and Quake3). In Canada we can't = buy
anything like that from Oracle's web site. (The shirts, etc., not the games.)
Maybe Oracle could sell data dictionary posters (DBA_ views and V$, X$ views/tables) for the different versions. Why not sell posters that = have to
do with the OEM, the OAS/OiS, Oracle applications. Why can't we download / purchase demos of the Oracle applications? Is = it
because SAP doesn't offer them, therefore Oracle won't either?

Technology Tracks
I have a problem with the Internet Technologies technology track, they = only
send the first release of each product, e.g. 8.0.4, 8.1.5.0.0. These = tend
to be buggy, I would like Oracle to send updates once a year. The technology tracks are a marketing tool, not just for developers. Show = us
that your products work well by sending us updates whenever significant minor releases are issued.

Oracle Press
I have an idea for yet another Oracle Press book (heh heh as if there = aren't
enough already), one that would take articles / recommendations from = the
Oracle center for excellence, package them together and publish them.

I am sure that more experienced DBAs and Developers will have other = things
to add to the list. I have only been at this for a little more than a = year.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des syst=E8mes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique=20
Maritimes Region, DFO      | R=E9gion des Maritimes, MPO