RE: Suggestions for Oracle Corp.

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:31:50 -0300

It's a blank page.

When I try to access it I get an Apache server blank page.

When I try to access it via Internet Explorer I get the usual Microso= ft
blank page.

Apache comes with OAS and iAS, maybe they dropped this page when they upgraded. (?)

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

=09-----Original Message-----
=09From:=09Steve Adams [SMTP:steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au]
=09Sent:=09Friday, August 11, 2000 4:21 PM
=09To:=09Boivin, Patrice J; Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
=09Subject:=09RE: Suggestions for Oracle Corp.

=09Hi Patrice,

=09Have you found this URL yet?
=09http://technet.oracle.com:2000/

=09Regards,
=09Steve Adams
=09http://www.ixora.com.au/
=09http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/
=09http://www.christianity.net.au/

=09-----Original Message-----
=09From: Boivin, Patrice J [mailto:BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca]
=09Sent: Saturday, 12 August 2000 1:48
=09To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
=09Subject: Suggestions for Oracle Corp.

=09Is there a place we can send suggestions to Oracle Corp. on how th=
ey
=09could
=09improve their products? The company is so big, and I fear that
=09suggestions
=09would just dissipate into a morass.

=09Nothing major, just a few annoying undocumented "features" that
should
=09be
=09relatively easy to fix in my opinion, and suggestions that might
improve
=09their business prospects.

=09Right now, I can think of the following:

=09The installation process should be included in their OCP
certification
=09courses. So should upgrading.

=09On NT:
=09The installer should register Oracle software properly with the OS=
 -
=09just
=09like most other Windows software does. I know Microsoft will
probably
=09never
=09want to certify Oracle against its OS because it is a competitor,
but at
=09least Oracle could aim to reach the criteria MS sets for most
Windows
=09software.
=09Oracle should register individual databases with the NT Performanc=
=09Monitor.
=09Not being able to implies that Oracle for NT is intended to have
only
=09one
=09instance per sever... Otherwise the performance monitor is rather
=09useless.
=09I know there are other ways of doing PT against Oracle, I am
thinking of
=09all
=09those MCSEs out there who might be more impressed with Oracle if
they
=09could
=09understand it without much effort. At least it would have a
"familiar
=09look
=09and feel". There are over 200,000 MCSEs out there, wooing 10% mor=
of
=09them
=09will help boost sales for sure.
=09Oracle should register itself properly with the Event Viewer. I
know
=09that
=09the Event Viewer API is archaic, and that it's a pain, but maybe
more
=09could
=09be done to improve compatibility.
=09I notice that in 8i lsnrctl start and lsnrctl stop work properly,
the
=09changes are reflected in the Services applet. Whoever did this
should
=09get a
=09medal!

=09On UNIX:
=09I am not sure, but sometimes specifies parameters as being "OS
=09dependent",
=09and when we receive the product nowhere in the documentation are
values
=09listed for these parameters for our particular platform. It would
be
=09helpful if they were.

=09Half seriously:
=09Microsoft sells polo shirts, etc., even baseball caps (?! How many
nerds
=09play baseball? Fun for them is C++ and Quake3). In Canada we can=
't
buy
=09anything like that from Oracle's web site. (The shirts, etc., not
the
=09games.)
=09Maybe Oracle could sell data dictionary posters (DBA_ views and V$=
,
X$
=09views/tables) for the different versions. Why not sell posters th=
at
=09have to
=09do with the OEM, the OAS/OiS, Oracle applications.
=09Why can't we download / purchase demos of the Oracle applications?
Is
=09it
=09because SAP doesn't offer them, therefore Oracle won't either?

=09Technology Tracks
=09I have a problem with the Internet Technologies technology track,
they
=09only
=09send the first release of each product, e.g. 8.0.4, 8.1.5.0.0.
These
=09tend
=09to be buggy, I would like Oracle to send updates once a year. Th=
=09technology tracks are a marketing tool, not just for developers.
Show
=09us
=09that your products work well by sending us updates whenever
significant
=09minor releases are issued.

=09Oracle Press
=09I have an idea for yet another Oracle Press book (heh heh as if
there
=09aren't
=09enough already), one that would take articles / recommendations fr=
om
the
=09Oracle center for excellence, package them together and publish
them.

=09I am sure that more experienced DBAs and Developers will have othe=
=09things
=09to add to the list. I have only been at this for a little more th=
an
=09year.

=09Regards,
=09Patrice Boivin
=09Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

=09Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des syst=E8mes
=09Technology Services | Services technologiques
=09Informatics Branch | Direction de l'informatique
=09Maritimes Region, DFO | R=E9gion des Maritimes, MPO

=09E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca <mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.c=
a>

=09--
=09Author: Boivin, Patrice J
=09 INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

=09Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-505=
1
=09San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists

=09to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and i=
=09the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L