RE: OpenWorld vs IOUG-A Live

From: Adams, Matthew (GEA, 088130) <MATT.ADAMS_at_APPL.GE.COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:44:32 -0400

Depends on what you're interested in.

IOUG-A is a much smaller conference (about 4000 at the last one I think). It has much better technical content overall (because the IOUG picks all the papers presented). You will learn much more. The vendor floor is pretty small, due to the smaller attendance.

OpenWorld is run by Oracle. Its a much larger conference. (anybody have the figures for last years attendance?) The IOUG has minimal input in
how things go. They do select some of the papers, but most are selected by Oracle. There is a lot of marketing fluff, but you can get a good sense of where Oracle is headed with their technology. The parties are much better.

That being said, I'm going to both of them this year.