RE: OpenWorld vs IOUG-A Live

From: Larry G. Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 19:37:26 -0500

Listers,

Since it is Friday and we can get a little more off-topic, the last time I did one of the conferences was back in 1990 (I think that was the year). It was in Anaheim (we got a free night at Disney Land). I didn't get much from that conference. Topics that you knew would be hot and a lot of people would want to be in on were scheduled in rooms that could hold 20 people -- nobody else could squeeze in. This was around the time V6 came out and Oracle was getting slammed for bugs and support issues. Then, stuff that was very special interest and not many people would want to attend were scheduled in huge rooms. The bottom line is that it was difficult to get in on the stuff most were interested in, but, you could find seating for 500 people in a room on a topic that wasn't of much interest to most (not to say the person presenting didn't have something valuable to say, just that it wasn't applicable to most people and what they were looking for).

Most of what I took back from that conference was what came up in conversations with people that I met. The *best* thing that came out of it was that I stayed out there for the weekend after, rented a convertible (on my dime for both the car and hotel, not trying to screw around an employer), and did the drive down to San Diego and back. That was nice.

I get the impression that these yearly conferences have gotten better. Maybe one day I will go to one again.

Best to all,

Larry G. Elkins
The Elkins Organization Inc.
elkinsl_at_flash.net